industrial edge servers

indian

industrial edge servers

Post by indian » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:55 am

Let's talk about new class of automation devices "industrial edge servers".

1. Where are they from? In beginning it was various kind of industrial routers for remote access.
2. What do they do? Except of the heritage, i.e. been VPN keeper, they can do many useful things. An example: they may work as NAT between different LANs of production line LANs; provide the connection by LTE-modem to Internet; play role of NTP server for PLCs and HMIs; be an local FTP storage; distribute Wi-Fi around production line for authorised staff or PLCs installed on moving parts of the line; serve as MQTT broker; even work as an intercom using an integrated or external audio card capabilities.
3. Which HW they can be based? Typically it is an special fanless PC under Windows OS. Price of the device starts from some thousands euros. But I have positive experience use much cheaper devices. Having little skills in Linux OS, you can build this kind of device by yourself. Here not need high computing power, so such HW as most household routers has is enough. Here not need high computing power, so such HW as most household routers has is enough. An unobvious advantage that kind of devices is low power consumption. If the device has MQTT broker inside, it is important to provide uninterrupted power for him. As lower the power consumption as easier it is to do it.

I installed more than forty that kind devices and I predict the saturation about sixty units here. If it is interested for someone I will share my experience more details, do not hesitate to ask.